Common Causes of House Fire
 
Kitchen stoves are a major fire hazard

Check the proximity of electric cords, curtains, tea towels and oven cloths to ensure they are at a safe distance from the stove. Be careful of long, flowing sleeves on dressing gowns contacting gas flames. Never leave the stove unattended.

Faulty wiring is dangerous

Always use a qualified electrician for all electrical wiring work. Never attempt to do it yourself. Double adaptors and power strips can overload power points. Install safety switches and correct fuses.

Electrical appliances - check them or throw them out

Faulty appliances cause fires. Either have them repaired or discard them. Destroy faulty appliances before disposing of them. Electrical appliances bought at garage sales or markets should be professionally checked before use. Never place cords under carpets or rugs. Faulty plugs and cords should be replaced. If a fire starts, turn off power at power point or switchboard immediately, if safe to do so.

Electric blankets burn

Donít sleep with electric blankets on or leave the house without switching them off. Never leave weighty objects on the bed when the electric blanket is on - be especially careful of pets. Have your blanket checked by an authorized repairer or service center if you suspect overheating. Always follow manufacturers instructions for care and storage. Ensure each blanket is inspected annually at the beginning of the cooler months.

Switch on a light - not a fire

Discard lampshades that are close to light globes and lamp bases that can be knocked over easily. Recessed down lights should be properly insulated from timber paneling, ceiling timbers or insulation materials. Check light fittings for heat build-up.

Butt-out before bedtime
Smoking in bed could be fatal for the entire household - tiny embers can smolder unnoticed and burst into flame much later. Ensure butts are properly extinguished before placing in rubbish bins.

Store flammable liquids carefully

Store all flammable liquids such as petrol, kerosene or methyl spirits away from heaters, hot water service pilot flames and other naked flames. Check the label before use and storage. Use extreme care when decanting.

Donít get burnt by home heating

Make sure all heating appliances are professionally installed to National Fire Safety Code and National Electrical Codes, particularly flues. Check walls and floors are insulated from heat sources. Be careful where you place portable appliances. Never leave an open fire alight when you leave the house or go to bed. Extinguish all flames and embers completely and ensure ashes are cold before discarding. Place a mesh guard in front of open fires. Have all heating appliances inspected and serviced according to manufacturersí requirements. Never leave children unattended near open fires and heaters. Clothing should not be dried close to heaters or open fires.

Clothes dryers need cleaning

Always clean lint filters after each load. Avoid drying bras in your dryer as the under wire can get caught and start a fire.

Comments: Webmaster - EOE - Privacy Policy - March 24, 2009